Pinner power through to a victory

October 12, 2013 by paul  
Filed under News & Events

Pinner RFC 1st XV traveled ‘up the road’ to play a league fixture against Borehamwood who play fixtures from Harrow ground.

There will be match report put on this site as soon as the editorial staff receive it, in the mean tome enjoy some images from the victorious match 27-10 below…..

PInner too strong for Borehamwood

Pinner took a while to settle down when they visited Borehamwood who play their ‘home’ games at Harrow RFC.  After last week’s defeat by London French there were a few changes in the P&G line up. Early exchanges were balanced but gradually the Pinner pack began to dominate and there were signs that the backs were beginning to jell. But it took 2o minutes before the first score.  Pinner comfortably won a line out in Borehamwood’s 22, the forwards took the ball on and flanker Dan Smith took over 15m out avoiding half-hearted tackles to score. Then 5 minutes later with P&G’s exerting pressure a long kick up field produced for the second week running a freak bounce. The home side’s centre ran in for an unopposed try  which was converted by the  full –back to give then a 7 – 5 lead. Once again Borehamwood tried to clear their lines but this time the poor kick only found the P&G’s advancing into the 22. After a few passes among the backs the forwards again took the ball on and number 8 Andy Alexander brushed aside several defenders to get Pinner’s second try.  On the verge of half-time following a rather ragged scrum the Borehamwood full-back dropped a goal to level the score at 10 – 10.

The second half was dominated by P&G’s. Full-back Chris Jepson gather the ball deep in his half and sprinted past into the home half and the chipped ahead. Winger Fred Riley was soon up on the Borehamwood defended and bundled him into touch. P&G took a rehearsed short lineout only for the referee to decide tha ball hadn’t gone 5m. Borehamwood, now losing most scrums, opted for another lineout but the ball wasn’t put in straight.  Front the ensuing scrum No 8 Alexander again drove forward, the ball was quickly re-cycled and fly-half Fraser Allan side stepped two defenders to score under the posts.  Fred Riley added the conversion. A few minutes later P&G were judged off-side but due to foul play the penalty was reversed and Jepson again put in a fine attacking run. From the resulting ruck P&G forwards drove on.  After only 10 minutes Pinner won yet another scrum and acting captain and scrum-half Sam Heath put in several loops around his backs. The Borehamwood defence was all at sea so the ball went eventually to left-winger John Kirby to go over in the corner for P*G’s fourth and bonus point try. The pattern was now set and Borehamwood having used their replacement had to reorganise with the centre going to hooker and the full-back up to fly-half. Yet another Jepson attack was again taken on by Alexander and this time the try was scored by Dan Muckley. Jepson continued to be a threat and would have scored a much deserved try but the final pass was adjudged to be forward. Borehamwood’s problems increase when the first yellow card reduced them to 14 men following a low body check on Pinner prop Ken Ryan who with fellow forwards Lee O’Callaghan and Don Williams were causing havoc with power runs from close range. Borehamwood gained a consolation penalty when P&G were guilty of not releasing after a tackle. The no 15, now at fly-half landed a long distance kick only to blot his copybook a minute or so later. Gather the ball from the kick-off he short-armed the P&G tackler in the face and received a yellow card for his pains. Now down to 13 men P&G agreed to lend them a replacement for the last 5 minutes.  There was no further score giving P&G’s a well deserved 27 – 10 victory but they now have to wait several weeks for the next league game.


Comments are closed.